Saturday, July 5, 2008

An update about my Class

I have just finished my second week at Cornell. At the start of the program every min seemed like an hour, but as I started to get more comfortable with the work loads, the days went by quicker. The class has become increasingly interesting, as we had our first guest lecturer, who works as a booking manager at the Statler Hotel. During his lecture, he fascinated the class about a typical day working in the hotel industry. He gave the class strategies and tips to maximize profit. He also talked about the college requirements to become a manager of any sort in a hotel.

On Friday, we turned in our Chess Report (Hotel Simulation). It was a long assignment, but I feel confident in the quality of my work. Students in the computer lab were stressing over the assignment. I even heard a rumor about a girl crying because of the stress. Now that I completed the assignment, I can finally relax and enjoy my weekend.

Alvin Yee

1 comment:

Charles Ramsey said...

Alvin, I know you are not crying! The hard load will make you a better student when you return to El Cerrito High School. I can tell you that I thought your class was going to be a breeze, but it has turned out to be the most challenging and demanding class of all!! I am very proud of your dedication and discipline. I have never seen a student work so hard at his task. You will be much better for it at the end of this week.

Congrats for growing and becoming accustomed to the work load. You seem like you have gotten the upper hand on the work and now you have a handle on it. Remember the Cornell Hotel School is the finest in the world and you may want to apply to Cornell and major in this field. The work that you have put in the last two years will last a lifetime and it will also give you something to build on if and when you apply to Cornell University.

The University now sees your potential and after having two summers of college credit it would silly of them to deny you entrance into the school if you choose to apply. I am glad that you have embraced the challenge and put your hard work to good use. I really want you to reach out to the Cornell Admissions office on Monday and participate in their college fair.

I also want you to take the SAT Reasoning Test in September, remember the time to sign up for the test is August and you need to take three subject matter tests in October. This will be the final time that you can show what you can do for those at Cornell.

Hope all else is well and keep up the good work.

Charles T. Ramsey