Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy (Belated) Fourth!

Yesterday morning (well more like afternoon since we all decided to sleep in), we kicked off our three day weekend with yet another trip to the mall to check out all of the Holiday Sales and see what kind of bargains we could find. Afterwards, we went back to the campus and met up with one of our friends and tried to bake brownies at Jameson, one of the neighboring dorms. Although they didn't turn out quite as expected thanks to oven complications, it was still a .... fun, and memorable, experience. Last night, we went to the Fourth of July dance and got to give the East Coast a little taste of the Bay. Well, sort of. I think we were all missing home a little when we realized that the music scene back home is a lot different than the one here. It was still a lot of fun though, and reminded us of how diverse and different everyone is.

Today, we went to the Ithaca Farmer's Market and then came back for a campus tour with Ms. Kronenberg. Even though we'd already been here for two weeks, it was still fun to hear about and to see things that were totally new to us. I've decided that if I come to Cornell for college, I'll be taking Wine Tasting as an elective and Intro to Scuba Diving for P.E. credit. Sounds fun, right?

Tomorrow, we have to revise our Plato essays and read about fifteen pages of Burke.
I can't wait! ;-)

-Theresa

1 comment:

Charles Ramsey said...

Wine tasting as an elective? That's new. Scuba Diving for PE credit? Life sure has changed since I graduated from UCLA. I like the pun. It sounds like you are making the most out of the opportunity to learn all that Cornell has to offer.

I am glad that you are seeing the clear differences between the West Coast and the East Coast. Many of us did not experience this until well into our twenties and some have still not experienced this distinction. The East Coast has its strengths and it has its history. I want you to continue to evaluate what is best for you. One thing that I am sure about is at least now you have something to talk about when it comes to an Ivy League School where you will have received college credit.

I look forward to you working with Sue Kim and discussing the many "options" that are available to you as a emerging high school senior. I know that your family is proud of your efforts and they will be very excited to see you at this time next week. Can you imagine the entire program concludes in one week. It seemed like yesterday that I was with all of you having dinner before the start of the program. How you have learned so much in such a short period of time.

Now is the time to finish off the program and work incredibly hard so you wlll have the fruits of your labor rewarded. I am glad that you and the others are feeling good about Professor Kramnick's class and I hope your grades reflects your effort.

Theresa you are a gifted leader and someone who can make the student body at Pinole stand up and take notice. I am looking forward to you doing a fantastic job this fall when you return as a senior to Pinole Valley High School. I also hope that you will sit down with the younger students and enlighten them about how the world is a bigger place than West Contra Costa.

Enjoy the balance of your weekend and I hope all is well in Risley Hall.

Take care.

Charles T. Ramsey