Saturday, July 12, 2008

No more Risley 336

Today was our last full day here at Cornell. I spent the beginning of my day in my lecture hall taking my Mind, Body, and Health final. Although I felt rushed towards the end of the hour and fifteen minutes, I believe I did a good job on my final. There was nothing I didn't know, which was a huge relief. After my final I was told that I received a B+ on my last essay and an A in class participation. All of the good news, let my day start off with excitement, not only did I do good on my assignments, but I finish the three weeks; and was finally going to see the family and friends I only had contact with through phone and email. We, (Joseph, Malcolm, Yoline and I) ending up in college town buying souvenirs for family and friends, and at the mall were we ate at Friendly's and saw the new Will Smith movie Hancock. After returning to Cornell, we all watched the talent show, were teens from summer college showed their talents in dance, piano, and song. The last part of my full day was spent at parties, which weren't to good, but we made the best of it. Joseph and I should them how teens from the Bay Area really dance!!! Right now I am finishing packing, getting ready for a long day of flying.
The reason why I decided to take Mind, Body and Health was because after taking chemistry and physics I was becoming turned off by science, and since science is a huge part in the medical field I was wondering if I still wanted to be a doctor. Although my parents friends who are physicians told me they didn't like physics while in school, this class would help me decide if I could be a pediatrician as a life long career even though I didn't like science. Along with my I-search project I did in honors English, this class is helping me decide what I am going to do with my life. I can say I LOVED my class. Learning about the medical history of diseases, the medical field, how it shaped American culture really interest me. There was no part that I was bored with, or not interested in. This class is pushing me to continue to be that pediatrician I always wanted to be.
Cornell was a wonderful experience, as usual. I know I will come back home with many of memories and stories to tell my family and friends for years to come. As college is quickly approaching my future in about a year, this experience will give me knowledge of what is to come when I do enter college as a freshman.
For now I will finish packing, and try not to be on facebook to long!
Jamaya Monroe

1 comment:

Don Gosney said...

Congratulations, Jamaya, on the great grades and the fact that it's now all a part of the past. There's nothing like going home and sleeping in your own bed.

Part of the undergraduate experience is getting a better feel on the different disciplines and branches of education to help you make those decisions you're toying with right now. You're still relatively young and have a lot more that will be thrown at you over the next couple of years that I'm sure will affect your decisions about your future.

Decisions don't have to be made right now and, of course, they shouldn't be made right now.

Talk to a lot of physicians, Jamaya, about how much they enjoyed their Bio-Chem classes and most will tell you that they gave serious consideration to becoming a History major instead of medicine. Sometimes these classes are just a few bumps in the road and once you're over them they're relegated to be just the sources of stories about the horrors of college life.

By now you've completed your packing and may already be heading west to more comfortable digs. Keep heading west, Jamaya, where friends and family await you. Congratulations and welcome home.