Monday, July 7, 2008

My perception about Cornell has changed over the past 2 weeks. I continue to see the competition grow between the students here at Cornell and it motivates me to try my best in everything I do. I feel that this environment will serve me well in the future when I apply here because it pushes me to become an independent learner rather than having my parents yell at me in order to motivate me to work. The professors here are very supportive. They give everyone an opportunity to be successful, but it is up to you to take advantage of those opportunities.

Attending the finest hotel school in the world daily makes me curious about the career I want to major in, considering the fields that they offer. I have never thought that I would major at the hotel school, but Cornell summer program has changed my mindset. Cornell's hotel school will be seriously consider when I apply here.

Most people would think that the hotel school is about Hotels, but it is not. The hotel school ranges from a career it in accounting to operating a restaurant. It broadens one presentation skills, communication (writing)skills, and leadership. It prepares one for hospitality management that one desires. The hotel school is truly a beautiful program that can help build a career that can last a life time.

Good Night
Alvin Yee

1 comment:

Don Gosney said...

Sounds like a wise choice on your part, Alvin. We're all glad that this experience is opening your eyes to new vistas and opportunities.

An added bonus to this trip seems to be your transformation from a teenager to an adult. You're realizing that you control your own destiny and that good things can happen to you if you pave the way for them to happen.

Your instructors are treating you like an adult because you're in an adult setting. This should be an awakening for you, Alvin. If you bring some of this back with you to your last year of school. you may see a change in the way your high school instructors treat you as well. Trust me, they often treat young people in the way they feel is necessary based on what they're seeing in you. Screw up and you're going to be treated as a screw-up. Excel and they'll open doors for you that you never knew existed.