Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Dang, halfway already

so today is the midpoint of the entire trip. wow. halfway there already. cool

So far, Cornell is pretty cool. I am still bummed out about having to walk everywhere, but i feel the strength building up in my legs. Which is pretty cool. I think I have finally figured out why exactly Cornell students are super smart. Because there isn't the lure of shops and such that are close by, people instead sit down, and just study! (At least, that's the thing for me). So maybe that's a factory I might want to think about when applying to different colleges. Emphasis on the might. Another thing about this rural (that's what its called, right?) college is that you kind of have to talk to people that's around you. Since there aren't others. So, in a way, it brings people closer together. And i bet they get super close together when people get snowed in at their dorms. Cornell is very beautiful though. Definitely can give it that.

Luckily I also had the chance to look at Brown. Currently, Brown in my top choice, college-wise. Despite a study that my Professor showed about the admissions at Brown, and how one student almost got in, but she didn't, because she misspelled one word on her application. Still want to go their. Why did I like Brown so much? Because it definitely felt like the home-away-from-home. UC Berkeley used to be my top choice. But the thing is, it was so close to my parents. Not that I don't love my parents, I just think I need to experiance life on my own for a bit. Brown was my UC Berkeley on the East Coast. Thayer St. = Telegraph. Close to a big city (Boston). And it just felt so...for me. Brown is smaller, so one doesn't need to walk super far back and forth from class to class. And the people there just seemed a bit more liberal. And that makes me feel comfortable.

Uh-oh, dinner with your professor is coming up. Guess I should go now.

~Yoline

3 comments:

Charles Ramsey said...

Thanks Yoline for your riviting post. I am grateful that you are providing us valuable insight into our program. I also like your analysis of leaving home and finding yourself. This is what I believe is important for all of our students, to find their own voice and identity in life.

Too often we see students fail to appreciate the need to become indepedent. This is my greatest joy in seeing all of you grow up. Remember this is your third year in the Ivy League Connection and hopefully having had the chance to spend three summers on the East Coast has opened your eyes to all that exist in this wonderful world.

Also I am glad that you have embraced others from different schools. I would have never thought that I would have seen the day where a student from Pinole, Kennedy and El Cerrito would bond so well. I want to thank all of you are coming together and being supportive of each other. I know that at times we tend to get into our own box, but I am glad that all of you came together and now are assiting one another. This is a great way to learn valuable life lessons.

It also appears that you have become convinced that Brown University is a fit for you. This is good that you are able to compare and contrast the institutions. I am also glad that you have broadened your horizons from just looking at UC Berkeley. I hope you will lead discussions next year with the Senior Class at El Cerrito and tell them that a world exists outside of El Cerrito and that they should look at collgee campuses throughout the country.

As you complete the program continue to keep us notified. I know that everyone uses facebook, but we also need to have some insight about your feelings. If you get a chance have one of the other students who are not part of our district "weigh in" and give us their opinion. I want to hear their thoughts and impressions about our program and their feelings about being at Cornell Summer College.

Take care and continue to work hard.

Charles T. Ramsey
School Board Member
West Contra Costa
Unified School District

Madeline Kronenberg said...

Yoline,

Thanks for sharing. You have a unique perspective having been at both Brown and Cornell, as Mr. Ramsey said. I appreciate your recognizing that Brown is such a good "fit" for you. You might want to figure out just what it is that makes it such a good fit -- so that you can create your own criteria list and apply it to the schools you will get a chance to interact with at the College Fair next week. You might just come up with some basic things like: rural/urban; class size; liberal/conservative -- things like that.

Anyhow -- it will be interesting to see what you learn from the College Fair and I hope you will share it with us on th blog.

Thanks for being so candid.

Ms. H. said...

Hi Yoline:

I'm sending you greetings from far away El Cerrito. It is wonderful to read your blog and the picture is looking great!
Learn, enjoy, grow. I'm very excited to work with you in leadership next year.

Ms. H.