Monday, July 7, 2008

Four More Days

It's the last week of Cornell. Wow, it went by pretty fast. I still have lots of stuff around Cornell that I haven't done yet! Oh well, I know in due time, I will get it done soon. Here is an update:

Weekend:
Something that I probably won't ever forget about with my time here at Cornell is getting sick. I usually don't get sick, but when I do, I just feel miserable. Sadly, I had to deal with it, due to the fact that I had an essay due on Monday. My key to surviving? Drinking lots of tea/water, and getting my sleep, after taking a pill or two of Benadryl. Now that I had enough sleep, I am almost 100% better. In due time, I will be as fit as I was before I got sick. This experience of getting sick has taught me a lot about myself. I now know that I, in fact, do not need my mommy with my to get better. She taught me well.
Class-wise, I believe I did all-right on my essay. I wrote about Suicide Bombers and the Fundamental Attribution Error. Pretty much, its about how suicide bombers, who many deem as "crazy people, bent on destruction" aren't actually people who are always into killing the whole time. The situation that individual is in affects the behavior of that person a lot. A lesson that is really important to understand. After writing up a rough draft, I was able to submit my paper in an editing workshop, where people were able to fix my grammar, and help me fix my essay up a bit, here and there. I believe it helped me a lot, and recommend going to any type of essay workshops to anyone who has an essay to turn in, if it is available. Take advantage of what's there for you to help you out.

Today, we turned in our papers (there were some pretty interesting topics out there), and got our quiz #2 score back. I didn't do super well, but I learned from my mistakes. I now realize that I can't be perfect at everything I do, but as long as I myself, believe I'm learning, then I am completely fine. In class, we talked about Death, and how knowing that its coming affects how people live their lives. Although the topic itself was interesting, I felt that the lecture in general was a bit dull today. I blame the fact that it is Monday Morning. After class and discussion, we had our Seminar, where we had a guest speaker who's kids both had mental illnesses, and how tough it was to be the mother of the two. Pretty deep stuff. After the Seminar, there was a College Admission panel, where some of the admission officers of Cornell answered questions, and clarified and confusion. They helped a lot. It's important to know about what school you wish to apply to, not just the academic side of it, but also the social side, and if you feel that that school is an environment in which you can handle. Everyone else is as stressed out about getting into college as me, even though I used to think that they wouldn't, because they were just so smart. The thing is, everything is fair game when it comes to admissions. After that, it was back to my dorm for laundry, and homework.

Of course, my whole Monday wasn't all just schoolwork. I went bowling for the first time in awhile. It is really nice to take some time to just have fun. Its important to know that it is not all about studying (although it is pretty important) but as I learned from lecture, life is short, so make the most of it.

I think that's all for today. Have a nice day blog-readers.

~Yoline Banerjee

1 comment:

Don Gosney said...

This the 22nd blog response for me today with only a few more left to do.

Sorry about your illness, Yoline. Sometimes when we're stressed and in a strange situation we let our bodies break down and we're susceptible to illnesses. A real bummer. Glad you're feeling better and it was only a brief episode.

Just a suggestion: never put in writing that you no longer need your mother. They just don't understand.