Thursday, July 10, 2008

Late Night Reflections

It's almost two in the morning here, and tomorrow is our final exam. Right now, I'm trying to make a chart connecting Marx's theory of human nature to his theory of Alienation of the species versus Alienation of Man, and I'm completely lost (and asking about it only made things worse today in class.) Although it's past my bedtime, I know that if I were to try to go to sleep, I wouldn't be able to get much accomplished. The amount of stress that I've experienced here, on both an academic and personal level, has drained me, yet opened my eyes even wider to the harsh realities of the real world. The course is a real college course, and is extremely difficult and time consuming; the people are real people, and just like Plato says in regards to the "common man," they have a natural inclination to put themselves before others. I'm still trying to digest the entire experience, and as of right now, I'm just not sure about where I stand. While the program itself may be ending tomorrow, my journey certainly will not. I know that I'm going home a different person and with a different perspective of life and those around me - I just need to sit down and try to figure out what exactly it is.

-Theresa

2 comments:

Don Gosney said...

Theresa,

On the one hand, I'm glad you're learning some of those realities of life but on the other hand I'm sorry that the only real way to learn those lessons is to be subjected to those realities.

Somewhere in one of those philosophy books you're studying I'm sure it says somewhere that "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger." There's a lot of truth to that but sometimes, even if the body doesn't die, it sure seems as though the soul has passed away.

Good luck on the finals and hurry home.

Charles Ramsey said...

Theresa,

Wow! What a post. I felt the excrutiating pain of dealing with a final and trying to come to grips with the finality of the moment. This is how I felt when I finished my last final in Law School. I just was numb and wondered where all the time went, but at the same time I was excited knowing that I had just survived the most difficult three years of my life. I was pleased to read how you were grappling with the enormity of the moment. I am sure that everything went well on the final.

My understanding is that many of you were headed out to a lovely dinner off site and away from the routine of the dorm food. I am glad that you are taking the opportunity to see a little of Ithaca. I do hope that you have time to reflect as you stated and to see the morning sun rise as you prepare to leave for home and away from your time in Risley.

Please take time to say goodbye to all of your new friends. I am sure that all of you have grown tremendously since I last saw all of you at Bailey Hall for the orientation with Professor Kramnick.

Finally enjoy the graduation. You and the other three ladies have earned the right to walk the stage.

Have a safe flight home.

Charles T. Ramsey
School Board Member
West Contra Costa
Unified School District