Wednesday, July 2, 2008

To have done so much, I have so much more to do

It is week two and things are going well here at Cornell. I am proud to say I received my essay back on my first hand medical experience, and I received an A-. Yesterday, the excitement I felt after turning over my essay, and seeing the A I had been visualizing in my head was a great bust of confidence. The feed back my TA gave me I will definitely use in my next essay.
Our next essay is geared towards the book The Spirit Catches you and you fall down. Nothing like a book report, we have to analysis and reflect upon the book, not by giving our reader the average information they can receive by reading the book; like the known theme throughout the book of "culture clash." But explain in dept the challenges immigration gives America's medical system , and tie in the ideas of the Lee family (Hmong refugees) and the medical physicians involved in Lia Lee's disease of epilepsy. This next paper which is six pages long is due on Monday. Tonight I will be giving Colleen (my TA) my first paragraph which will contain my thesis statement. By showing her the beginnings of my essay, I hope to gain feed back to see if I am on the right track. Hopefully my essay will be complete by Friday and by then, I will have seen Colleen twice; once for my opening paragraph and the other for my body paragraphs. Besides working on my essay, this week will continue to be dedicated to reading Silent Travelers, a book explaining different diseases and the immigrants that brought the diseases to America. My group will present a chapter summary on chapter 8 for our class tomorrow.
Also this week I ate dinner with my mentor Kari. Kari is one of many staff members at Cornell who volunteered to be a mentor for scholarship students here at summer college. She is very eager and excited to get to know each and everyone of her students. Although she is on vacation this week, she took the time to have dinner with us. This showed me how dedicated she is in getting to know us, and helping make Cornell an enjoyable experience. Hopefully next week my mentor and our group will be able to get together before I leave.
Malcolm, Joseph and I, last night had dinner with professor Goldwin (our body, mind and health professor). Although dinner with a professor might seem uptight and awkward, I actually had a great time. She is very down to earth and gave plenty of advice, not only as a professor, but as a mother who had two kids go through the college admissions process. The dinner was informative.
The excitement I received from getting my essay grade, will definitely help me in writing my paper due Monday. Although I hope I will be done with my essay by Friday, I know that this weekend I will still have final touches to do on it. Majority of my time will be devoted in making my essay the best it possible can be. That way on Sunday night, unlike most kids I will not be rushing to finish my paper.
And hopefully tonight I will have all my work done, so I can go to dance class!

Jamaya Monroe

2 comments:

Charles Ramsey said...

Jamaya you are a great writer. I can see everything through your writing. As the veteran student at Cornell, how does this year compare to last yaer? What are the lessons you plan to bring back to us.

Did the dinner with the Professor reveal anything new? How did Joseph and Malcolm engage with the profeesor. Did you mention to your roommate that you were having dinner with the prof.

By the way, how were the fireworks show. Were you able to relax and have a good time. By the way is Cornell a school you plan to apply to and will you ask your professor for a letter of recommendation. Remember, this is your second year at Cornell and you have exhibited an ability to master the work and perform at a high level.

Continue to keep us informed. We only have ten days remaining to learn about what went well at Cornell this summer. Also look out for Ms. Kronenberg who will join all of you for the next three days in Ithaca. I hope you get a chance to go to the mall, see College town and take in a tour of the Lake. My understanding is that Alvin Yee has a boat cruise on Friday with his Hotel Management Class.

Take care and keep us posted!

Charles T. Ramsey
School Board Member
West Contra Costa
Unified School District

Madeline Kronenberg said...

Nice work, Jamaya.

Thanks for sharing the details of your class. It sounds like you are on top of your game.

I've been asking all the students, and I want to know from you ase well, what, after your experience at Cornell, you will look to as the things that will be the most important factors in your college search. What are the hot buttons for you?

You've had some special opportunities here and I'm curious how you will connect them to your future. Since the College Fair is next week, it would be good to think about this now, so you can ask the college reps some useful questions.

Great job. Please post again soon.