Monday, July 7, 2008

Students

Being here at Cornell, let's me in on the lives of the competative students. The students here at summer college are mostly excellent students from their high school. The study, read and sleep well. However I am noticing quite a few students here who just like to party, go to sleep at 3 am and then have to rush to not be late for class, sometimes even skipping breakfast. What the students that actually want to learn do at their school, is become presidents of their clubs. I met this girl from Boston who is the president of 4 clubs at her school! This si proof that getting involved in school activites does count. They are all in a least one AP class. The competition is tough.

1 comment:

Don Gosney said...

Good observations, Wendy.

Being smart is nice and can be useful and it's always a lot better than not having the smarts.

Being successful, though, means knowing what to do with those smarts and then following through with the plan.

Being proactive in clubs and school leadership councils is important and seeking out leadership positions is yet another step up the ladder of success.

I had the smarts while in school and I've always tried to assert myself into leadership positions whenever possible and it paid off for me on many occasions. I was lazy, though and tried to skate by on my smarts all too many times and it hurt me.

People in positions to help us usually aren't completely stupid and can often see through the facade of partying and laziness and when they have an opportunity to help or promote a student (or employee) they're usually going to lean towards that person of character and integrity--even if they're not as smart.