Monday, June 30, 2008

The Second Monday

Two more weeks to go, but classes are very intense. Had to re-adjust to the going back to class, but it wasn't too hard. I ended up going to class a bit too early. But hey, extra time to do more homework...In class, we talked about Determinants of Contsruals, and types of Social Influence. In my discussion, we talked about our quiz (if you ask how I did, I will reply with an "eh..." so no point in asking). I learned from the quiz the kind of style the TA is looking for. I also learned how I can better prepare for the next one (more studying, and more asking questions).
We then started to go over our op-ed essay due next week. I think I might have some ideas for it. It will definitely be interesting. In Seminar, we talked about Depression and Suicide. In my personal opinion, the information was some great stuff, but the presentation....well, I learned how to muster up all my energy to pay attention. That's another good skill to have. The rest of my time was devoted to dinner, and homework. Oh, and of course shower. Yippee...

~Yoline

2 comments:

Charles Ramsey said...

Hang in there Yoline. You are a very talented student and I know that you will continue to improve and learn from the experience.

Sometimes this type of "wake up call" is just what the doctor ordered. I am glad that you, Wendy and Ana had a chance to do some comprehensive studying at the library. Your use of the campus was a great idea and you saw how you were able to get away from the madness.

This a chance to learn and now you see that the opportunity to succeed has a small window. Going to malls and having fun can happen but now is the time to buckle up and get the work done.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and being open to hearing our opinion. I am encouraged that you have learned a lot from the first week and that you have the resolve to do better.

Continued success and good luck with the remainder of the week. Remember to spend time with your mentor and also to ask Professor Gilovich a lot of questions when you have dinner with him on Wednesday night.

Take care.

Charles T. Ramsey
School Board Member
West Contra Costa
Unified School District

Don Gosney said...

It doesn't matter how smart you are or even how hard you work, if you can't please your boss--you're out of there.

The same is true in a class.

You have to figure out what it is the prof or the TA wants and then give it to them. Once you're established as a grad student or something, you can develop opinions of your own that you can share with your instructors but at this point, what they're thinking is that they're a professor at an ivy league college and you're a high school student from somewhere else. In their minds, what could you possibly have to offer that might be relevant?

It's a closed and narrow attitude but this is the real world. It sounds like you're learning that part real quick.

Some people might suggest that this is tantamount to sucking up to the TA but there's a distinction between learning how to please the TA and simply looking like a jerk as you fawn all over the TA.

You know what you have to do.