Monday, June 30, 2008

And we start again...

It's the second week here at Cornell! And it definately feels like we've all adjusted to the routine. Except for the fact that I overslept this morning, but STILL had breakfast and got to class on time. It seemed like the day would never end. But it did. I actually felt accomplished today. I was able to take some time after class, almost 2 hours, to go to the chapel, sit under a tree and do some work. It felt really good and I loved the environment. The day was absolutely perfect. On Wednesday, all the Freedom & Justice kids are taking the mid-term. I, for one, have been studying and trying to keep up with the reading at the same time. Our T.A., Michelle, is really helpful and is holding a study session tomorrow night so we can all study for the mid-term. After class, I'm just going to study the night away so I can feel good about the mid-term. It's a load of work, but hey, this is a preview of the college life! And I am enjoying it. :)

Signing off,
Lucina Parada

2 comments:

Charles Ramsey said...

You have the right attitude. Lucina continue to stay positive. I am happy that the course is working out and I am glad that you have joined the campus newspaper. I heard that you did a review of a movie, we would love to read the review that was published in the Cornell paper.

By the way, did Professor Kramnick reschedule the dinner that was originally scheduled for this evening? I know that he had to postpone because he was giving a lecture. Also do you and Chelsey plan to sit in on a music class or attend one of the musicals that will be given on campus?

Keep up the good work and let us know how you do on the mid-term.

Charles T. Ramsey
School Board Member
West Contra Costa
Unified School District

Don Gosney said...

Most parents who have never been to college will never appreciate the fact that a real collegian is working a full time job with tons of overtime thrown in.

You're only taking one class, Lucina, and your time is no longer our own. Consider those students in regular session taking 3-5 classes. I know that the structure of those classes is a little looser but it can still be really tough.

When I first started at Cal I was studying theoretical physics. All of my classes were either math or science (no humanities for me). I would be in class 8-10 hours per day and then studying another 8-10 hours per night. It doesn't take a math whiz to figure out that I didn't leave myself much time for stupid things like eating and sleeping.

There always has to be a balance, Lucina. These colleges want you to have a balanced life before they even let you in so they need to allow you the chance to maintain that balance once you get to college. Study a little and live life a little. Sounds like a good plan.