Sunday, June 29, 2008

its 3:42 in Ithaca NY, which means there's a good chance of it being both hot and foggy. I wouldn't know--the shades are down, and my fan is on. who needs the outside world when you have plenty of reading to do? That's not to say I didn't leave my room today, which apparently is a problem in Japan, many young(ish) people give up and never leave their rooms again except for a midnight food-run to the convenience store. This, I learned in class, is a culture-bound illness, or an affliction that only affects people of one culture, (like teenage girls in America cutting. or running amok in Malaysia)
Today I went to the Ithaca Commons, which is a promenade with many little shops, boutiques, and restaurants. Wendy's mentor Jenny, who seems really cool and is going to take us to laser tag next weekend, went with us. Now, i'm going to whole myself up in my room until i finish my reading.
till later,
Joseph Young

1 comment:

Don Gosney said...

I'm glad you're realizing about that affliction of holing yourself up in your room and bypassing the benefits of the outside world.

I used to head off to work before the sun came up, I worked in an inside office (without windows) until nearly midnight and returned home in the dark--seven days a week. For months at a stretch I would never even see my front or back yards. Some of my neighbors hadn't seen me in 6-9 months.

I got a lot of work done but there was no balance and balance is the key to life.

If we wanted you to stay in your room and just go to class we could have saved a bundle and set you up with some computerized learning through web cams. Getting out to enjoy your surroundings and participate in the social interactions is a huge part of this whole educational opportunity.

Spread the word to the others--get out there and have some fun, do some laundry and fill your brains with lots of new ideas.