Friday, June 27, 2008

College life

My 2nd year at Cornell Summer College was completely different from my expectations. I didn't expect to have an 8 hour school day at Cornell, which limited my free time. I knew that there would be heavy work load, but did not expect to have mandatory office just to finish homework. The social life differed from last year. Everyone is always in there room (maybe because there is more work this year). Living in a dorm without my WCCUSD made me feel like a normal student (not scholarship funded) this year because I had spend time with other student around the world.

This year a typical weekday for me on the Cornell campus is something, I have never experience before. I wake up, start school, and sleep. I have lecture from 8-11 in the morning about the hotel industry. In the afternoon we learn about business writing and presentation in the computer lab from 1PM to 4PM, leaving me with 2 hours of free time per day.

Over the past week I have experienced an abundant amount of rigorous assignments. I have had to read an average of 25 pages per night on the lodging industry and the history about hotel. Every afternoon, I am exposed to new software, specify Microsoft Office 2007. Today I turned in my first business memo about my strategy toward running my own 250 rooms upper-upscale hotel simulation, which was done using Microsoft word 2007. This weekend I will have my hand full with my assigned group working on a PowerPoint Presentation about the Marriot International Hotel, which will be present on Monday during Lecture time.

No comments: